Gluten-free, lactose-free, FODMAP friendly
Light and sweetly crispy, good for a snack or garnish, these pecans taste a little like pecan pie—but they’re much less work.
- 1 egg white
- 1 Tbsp water
- ½ cup sugar
- 2 ½ cups pecan halves
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ¼ tsp ground cloves
- ¼ tsp ground nutmeg
- ¼ tsp salt
- Preheat oven to 300 F. Cover a baking sheet with aluminum foil, and grease it well with at least a teaspoon of coconut oil or butter. This is going to be messy. And totally worth it.
- Pour sugar, cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, and salt into a gallon-size Ziploc bag. Seal it and shake well to combine everything.
- Separate egg white into a medium bowl, add water, and beat with a fork until slightly foamy. Add the pecans and toss with a slotted spoon until the skins darken from the moisture. Use the slotted spoon to transfer the pecans into the bag with the sugar and spices. Seal it again, and shake until the pecans are totally coated.
- Spread the coated pecans evenly on the prepared baking sheet.
- Bake 15 minutes, stir them around with a fork, and bake another 15 minutes (total 30 minutes baking time).
- Set the baking sheet on a wire rack and let them cool completely. Then break up the glorious mass with a spatula and transfer to a serving bowl, or bag them for later.
- Munch munch nom nom. These will be nice added to a plate of Christmas cookies.