Almond Chocolate Chip Biscotti
Gluten free, Lactose free, FODMAP-friendly—and can also be made eggless
Source: Life coach and GF chef Karen Ore
Prep time: 2 hours 30 mins
GF chef and life coach Karen Ore gave me this recipe, which is another gem from her test kitchen. My webmaster and I, plus a friend, tested these one evening while watching most of Downton Abbey Season #3 on DVD. These wonderful biscotti took some of the sting out of the fictional tragedies. If you have friends coming for a movie evening, a double batch of biscotti is likely to disappear before your friends go home. Two batches fit comfortably on a single cookie sheet, too.
- ½ cup whole almonds
- ¼ cup mini chocolate chips (Karen uses the Enjoy Life brand—I like regular semisweet chocolate chips)
- ¾ cup sorghum flour (Karen recommends Bob’s Red Mill sweet white sorghum)
- 1 tsp xanthan gum
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ cup white granulated sugar
- ¼ cup non-dairy milk (soy or almond) or 1 large egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ¼ tsp almond extract
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- Chop the almonds coarsely and measure out the chocolate chips. Set aside.
- Measure the sorghum flour by spooning the flour into ¾ cup dry measure cup, then sweeping the excess flour off with a knife. Add it to a small bowl and then add the xanthan gum, baking powder and salt. Stir well to combine the dry ingredients.
- In a medium size bowl, stir together the nondairy milk or large egg and the sugar, add the vanilla and almond extracts, and stir to combine.
- Add the flour mixture and stir with a sturdy spoon or spatula. The dough will be heavy and sticky. Add the almonds and chocolate chips, and stir until evenly mixed.
- Lightly moisten your hands with water and lift the dough out of the bowl. Place it on the parchment paper covered cookie sheet and form into a log about 12 inches long. Smooth the sides and top. Flatten the log slightly if you like your biscotti oblong-shaped.
- Bake for 30 to 40 minutes, until light brown and firm.
- Remove from the oven and let cool for at least ½ hour.
- Reset oven temperature to 300 °F.
- When the log is cool enough to handle, remove from the cookie sheet to a cutting board and slice it thinly on the diagonal with a sharp serrated knife or electric knife.
- Place the biscotti with a cut side down on the cookie sheet. Bake for 15 minutes, then turn over onto the other cut side and bake for another 15 minutes (longer if thickly cut)
- Cool on a rack with good air circulation, then store at room temperature or freeze.
Walnut and Cranberry Variation
Substitute the following ingredients for almonds and chocolate chips:
- ½ cup coarsely chopped walnuts
- ¼ cup coarsely chopped dried cranberries
- Proceed as for the Almond Chocolate Chip Biscotti
- Use ½ cup coarsely chopped walnuts and ¼ cup coarsely chopped dried cranberries, instead of the almonds and chocolate chips.