Carrots with Thyme and Green Onion
Gluten-free and FODMAP-friendly
Yield: 6 servings
A long-time family favorite! I brought a quadruple batch to my son’s wedding-supper potluck. Even folks who aren’t fond of carrots liked them.
- 2 pounds carrots, peeled and either grated or cut into matchsticks
- 2 Tbsp butter*
- ½ tsp sugar
- 4 green onions, sliced (FODMAPers use tops only, or substitute fresh snipped chives**)
- 1 tsp dried thyme leaves
- salt and pepper
- Steam carrots until cooked as you like them (10-15 minutes).
- Meanwhile, melt butter in a medium microwave-safe bowl. Add sugar, sliced green onions, thyme, and salt and pepper to taste, and microwave again until the onions are wilted but not cooked.
- Transfer cooked carrots into bowl and toss with other ingredients.
Tip: These are excellent left over, so it’s all right to make a full batch.
**Growing your own chives in a container is simple: Buy a chive plant, tuck it into potting mix, and give it a bit of sunshine. I would not grow chives in my garden, though. If you let chives set seed, you’re likely to have them everywhere!