Cranberry-Lime Wedding Punch
Gluten-free, lactose-free, FODMAP friendly
(Photo credit: Lockie Photography)
Bill and I served this refreshing punch at our wedding. It’s sweet and sparkly but not overly sugary, and the moms appreciated that the grandkids weren’t imbibing caffeinated sodas.
Makes about 1 gallon.
- 6 cups fresh cranberries
- 3 cups sugar or sugar-dextrose mix
- 3 cups water
- 3 limes
- 1 orange
- 3 quart-size bottles Pellegrino or other sparkling water
- Wash and sort fresh cranberries. Save back a handful of pretty ones to float in the punchbowl.
- Combine cranberries, sugar, and water in a kettle. Bring to a low boil and cook until skins pop.
- Pour the berries and juice through a metal sieve into a metal bowl. Let the pulp drip awhile, then scoop it out into jars and save it in the fridge. It isn’t quite cranberry sauce, but it makes a good garnish.
- Cool the strained juice to refrigerator temperature, at least an hour.
- Cut each lime in half. Take a thin slice out of the middle of one or two limes, to float in the punchbowl with the reserved cranberries.
- Slice the orange in half, reserving another thin, floatable slice.
- Use a juicer to extract all the juice from the lime and orange halves.
- In a punchbowl or pitcher, mix the chilled cranberry juice with lime and orange juices. Carefully stir in the sparkling water. Float the reserved berries and fruit slices on top.