Ginger Citrus Carrot Salad
Gluten-free, Lactose-free, FODMAP friendly
Here’s a FODMAP friendly version of another old favorite recipe from the vegetarian classic Laurel’s Kitchen. Because I can’t eat raw veggies at the moment, I microwave the carrots until they’re just done. The combination of ginger and citrus, plus the slivered almonds, gives it plenty of fresh taste and texture. A sprig of parsley, and maybe some lemon slices, brings it right up to company-quality—especially if you can find garden fresh carrots.
- 3 cups carrots, grated (about 6 medium carrots)
- 1 tsp fresh ginger, grated
- ¼ cup orange juice
- 1 teaspoon orange zest, grated
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest, grated
- ¼ to ½ cup chopped or slivered almonds
- Grate the carrots and ginger, and carefully remove ONLY the colored outer zest from lemon and orange.
- Place carrots and ginger in microwave-safe bowl with the orange juice, orange zest, and lemon zest.
- Microwave until tender, stirring once or twice.
- Add nuts just before serving. Very good the second day!