Hot Chocolate for One
Gluten-free, Lactose-free, FODMAP-friendly
Yield: 1 serving
Ingredients & Instructions
Mix in large mug:
- 1 heaping T organic cocoa powder
- 1 ½ tsp dextrose*
- 1 ½ tsp sugar*
- ½-1 tsp vanilla
- a few grains of salt (optional)
- Add 1-2 Tbsp water and mix to a smooth, syrupy paste. The vanilla helps dissolve the cocoa.
- Stir unsweetened almond milk* in to fill the cup.
- Microwave about 30 seconds. Stir. If you omit this step, any undissolved cocoa can float to the top and scorch. You don’t want to waste chocolate, do you? Now finish microwaving it until it’s hot.
*Note: If you have sweetened or vanilla-flavored almond milk on hand, omit the sugars. This recipe is probably FODMAP-friendly without the dextrose, but I’ve made a habit of using half dextrose and half regular sugar.
And if you keep chocolate almond milk on hand, your job is EASY—microwave and enjoy. That’s why I don’t keep it around! And unsweetened almond milk is more versatile for cooking.