Marinated Steamed Cabbage Salad
Gluten-free, lactose-free, FODMAP friendly
This lightly cooked salad improves over several days and keeps well in the fridge.
- ½ small head cabbage*
- 1 or 2 small carrots
- 3 Tbsp seasoned rice vinegar
- 1-2 tsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tsp sesame oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- Cut cabbage into thin wedges, then pull the wedges apart and scatter the shreds in a steamer basket. Peel carrot(s) and either shred or else cut in 2” matchsticks, and add to the steamer basket.
- Steam the veggies about 8 minutes, until as soft as you like them. If you can digest them tender-crisp, lucky you!
- Drain veggies well. Transfer them into a deep, wide jar. I like large Adams Peanut Butter jars. Don’t put hot foods into plastics!
- Mix remaining ingredients in a small bowl. Pour over veggies in the jar, cover tightly and shake well. Refrigerate 2 hours to several days. Shake several times over the next few hours to redistribute the marinade.
- I serve this as a cold salad, but I think it would be tasty as a warm side dish.