Oatmeal Spice Cake
Gluten-free, lactose-free, FODMAP friendly
Easy, tasty and fast—especially if you’ve pre-mixed a container of Baking Mix 1. This cake isn’t super-sweet. You can “frost” it with a sprinkling of cinnamon sugar mixture (about 1 tsp cinnamon to about ¼ cup sugar).
- 1 cup Baking Mix 1*
- 1 cup quick-cooking gluten-free oats
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp nutmeg
- ¼ tsp ginger
- 1/3 cup extra-light olive oil
- ½ cup water
- 2 eggs
- ½ tsp bottled browning sauce, e.g. Kitchen Bouquet (optional)
- ½ cup chopped nuts (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Grease a 9 X 9 square baking pan with solid shortening or coconut oil. Measure all ingredients (except nuts) into mixer bowl and blend, then beat 3 minutes at high speed, scraping sides occasionally. Stir in the nuts after beating, if you’re using them. This batter will be runny, but the oats absorb a lot of liquid during baking.
- Pour into greased pan. Bake 30 minutes, until a toothpick poked into the center comes out clean.
- Cool before slicing. Use within a day or two, or wrap slices individually and freeze.