Shirley’s Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies
Absolutely flourless, gluten free, lactose free, FODMAP friendly
And unbelievably addictive. God bless Shirley!
- 1 cup peanut butter*
- 1 cup sugar (I use half sugar, half dextrose)
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ½-1 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Mix all ingredients well, except chocolate chips. Add them last and mix carefully.
- With moist hands, form cookies into walnut-size balls. Place on cookie sheet, and flatten them (see *note).
- Bake 10 minutes, until surface is dry. Be careful not to bake too long.
- Remove from heat and let rest on cookie sheet 5 minutes more. Then remove to wire rack or brown paper to cool fully.
Cooking for One:
These freeze well. I tried freezing them as a strategy to keep from eating the whole batch right away. It didn’t work. Wow, these are good.
* Note on peanut butter: I buy the Adams natural brand, let it settle for several weeks before opening, and pour off as much oil as I can. This gives me a very stiff peanut butter to work with, so it was necessary to flatten the cookies before baking. I understand that other brands, or undrained natural peanut butter, shouldn’t require flattening.