Gluten free, Lactose free, FODMAP friendly
Prep time: several hours or overnight
Yield: about 1/2 pound
I love a campfire, a fire in the fireplace, and just about anything smoky-flavored. Here’s a sausage that’s good crumbled over a gluten free pizza or in scrambled eggs, or browned as breakfast meat patties.
- ½ lb ground bison, beef, venison, or other digestible meat
- ¼ tsp each of sage, sweet marjoram, and thyme
- ¼ tsp ground black pepper (more, if you like hot and spicy sausage)
- ¾ tsp Liquid Smoke, more or less as you prefer*
- 2 tsp olive oil, or more if meat is very lean
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- Re-grind meat in food processor.
- Place ground meat in a bowl with all other ingredients. Smoosh it together with clean hands or a hefty spoon.
- Pack it down in the bowl, cover close to the meat with wax paper or plastic wrap, and refrigerate several hours or overnight to blend the flavors.
- Form into 1-oz. blobs or 2-oz. patties, or crumble into a heavy frying pan. Add olive oil if necessary. Sauté until brown.
Cooking for One:
These freeze well after cooking.
*Don’t taste raw sausage. If you’d like to adjust the spices, try cooking a small sample. Still, the flavors won’t fully blend until the sausage has been refrigerated for several hours. Overnight is ideal.