Turkey Sausage Meatballs
Gluten-free, lactose-free, FODMAP friendly
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 2 tsp kosher salt
- ¼ tsp finely ground black pepper
- 2 tsp rubbed sage leaves
- 1 tsp liquid smoke seasoning
- 1 egg, beaten
- ½ slice gluten-free bread
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- Mix ground turkey, salt, pepper, sage, and liquid smoke in a medium bowl. Cover snugly with wax paper, and refrigerate at least 2 hours or overnight to blend flavors.
- In a small bowl, crumble the gluten-free bread into fine, soft crumbs. Mix well with beaten egg.
- Combine egg mixture with meat mixture. Form into about 30 1” balls.
- Heat olive oil over medium-high heat in a heavy frying pan. Brown half of the meatballs on all sides, carefully turning and rolling them several times. Remove to a warm plate and brown the rest of the meatballs in the same way.
- Return all meatballs to the frying pan. Reduce heat to low. Cook covered for 5-10 minutes more, until no trace of pink remains. You’ll need to split open a meatball to make sure.
- Serve hot.
For “Potluck Meatballs”
Make a double batch, nestle them in a small slow-cooker, and pour 1 cup Safe BBQ Sauce over them. Keep warm.